Thursday, August 21, 2008

Looking for Inspiration

Summer is slowing fading and a new school year is just getting underway. After all these years of homeschooling, I find myself looking for something new and fresh to give me a kick start. I have been looking for articles, books, just some inspiring something to jolt me like lightening and cause me to jump out of bed bright and early every morning with great anticipation and teach these little people again how to read and do math, how to live like little people instead of savages. So in my search for some great inspiration, I find myself at the beginning again. Let me explain.

In the beginning, I was looking for a name for our school. I wanted it to really mean something to us, to capture the heart of what we wanted to accomplish on this journey. One day I was reading Psalm 1:2-3, "But his delight is in the Lord and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." So the plan is to know God, to delight in Him and become a tree, yielding fruit. It's just like the tree in my yard - it is wired to produce fruit even in the face of strong storms as long as it stays full of sun, soil, and water.

We named our school The Learning Tree (thanks to our friends who helped come up with name based on Psalm 1). So in looking for something inspiring, I realized that the inspiration for each new year, and really, each new day is in the name. We are learning to know God, meditate on His word, listen for His voice and follow His lead. The end result? Bearing fruit (hopefully) - becoming what we were wired to become - writer, musician, drama queen, ball player, storyteller.

Wow, that sounds so simple, but each day is an adventure in trying to live it out.

No comments: