Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Times Flies

I just dropped Lindsay off to drive with an instructor for the first time. Seems like it wasn't that long ago that we were teaching her to ride her bike with no training wheels. Fortunately she has always been our cautious child. Right now I am feeling thankful for that.

And yes, I am feeling a bit sentimental. I mean my baby is quickly becoming an adult and I'm not sure where all the time has gone. Today she is learning to navigate through the streets of town. Six hours of driving instruction and she will be able to have a learner's permit (I sense lots of blogging material when that day arrives). That doesn't seem like very much time to learn to handle a vehicle on a busy street.

Too soon she will be navigating through life on her own as well and these few years don't feel like enough time to teach her all she needs to know about making decisions. She is already forming her own opinions about the world, beginning to branch out where I can't always be there, trying her hand at new things with out me. Naturally I wonder if I have given her enough, taught her enough, loved on her enough.

When our kids are first born it is hard to imagine that those sleepless nights will ever cease. People tell you how quickly the time will fly, but it's hard to imagine life moving that fast. Today I know just how fast life moves. In the blink of an eye they are picking out their own clothes, studying on their own, making their own money, and learning to drive.

No comments: