Saturday, November 1, 2008

Baking Bread

Eating is probably one of our favorite things to do and with a large family, I spend a lot of time thinking about food, planning menus, and shopping for food. My family loves homemade bread, but I have to tell you that I do not grind my own wheat nor do I knead the dough by hand. I applaud those who do this or have fancy machines to do it for them, but really, I don't think I want it that badly.

A while back while visiting Money Saving Mom, I discovered a wonderful recipe for wheat bread that kneads in the bread machine and bakes in the oven. Now this I can handle as someone gave us a bread machine a couple of years ago and we have put it to good use this fall as we bake this bread several times a week.

This recipe is so simple (even my teenagers can handle it), only takes about ten minutes to get the machine going and in less than two hours - homemade bread!

Put the ingredients into the machine in this order:

2 tsp yeast
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp milk
1 cup warm water

Set the machine to manual and let it run. When this cycle is complete, place dough in greased loaf pan, cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled. Bake at 350 25 to 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hmmmm i might have to try this... i love love love love love homemade bread.. mm