Thursday, September 4, 2008

First Day

I wonder why it is that new things are always so hard. Why is it so hard to walk into a group of complete strangers for the first time? I remember it being really hard when I was a child, but I suppose that I thought becoming a grown up would make it easier. It didn't.

I suppose it is the just the simple fear of the unknown. Jonathan and I had a good taste of this fear as we went to a new Bible study this morning. He was very uptight about going even though he knew the teacher and was assured to have at least one friend in his class. Still, I had to convince him to try it just once with the promise never to go back if it was absolutely horrible. No one made those kind of promises to me. When I told Ken this morning that I didn't want to go because I was too tired and it was too hard, he simply said, "Just go."

So we went and as we pulled into the parking lot, all of the words of encouragement to Jonathan (and myself) were lost when he said, "Mom, I think I am going to throw up." To which I promptly replied, "Don't worry, I feel the same way. Let's pray." I took his little hand in mine and we prayed right there trusting that the God of the universe cared enough about the anxiety of our morning to calm our hearts and give us the courage to walk into our classes. And we did just that.

Of course there was nothing horrible about the morning and Jonathan definitely wants to go back next week. All the fear and anxiety from last night and the early morning simply gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seemed like Kelesy had a better time this week...I hope to see you next week!

Sarah-Anne