Monday, December 1, 2008

I Can Tell You What Christmas is All About

I just love A Charlie Brown Christmas and my very favorite part is when Charlie Brown says to Linus, "I guess you were right Linus. I shouldn't have picked this little tree. Everything I do turns into a disaster. I guess I really don't know what Christmas is all about."

To which Linus replies, "I can tell you what Christmas is all about." Linus steps out on the stage and asks for lights.

"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"

Then Linus picks up his blanket, walks back over to Charlie Brown and says, "That's what Christmas is all about Charlie Brown."

And Linus is right, that is what Christmas is all about. It's about God himself coming to earth as a man and becoming the sacrifice for our sins. It is this huge gift of love that allows us to love others. It is this gift of love that causes us to want to search high and low for the perfect gift for those we love just to see the smile on their face and the sparkle in their eyes when they open our gift. It is this gift of love that causes our wide-eyed children to see the Christmas Holiday for the miracle that it is. It is this gift of love that causes us to reach out to those in need - in need of things, in need of friends, in need of love.

That's what Christmas is all about.

1 comment:

Emily Nicole said...

I have tagged you! See my blog for details:www.practicallypink.blogspot.com

Emily