Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Be Present

Be present. Live in the moment. There is nothing I can do about what has already happened, and worrying about what will happen in the future doesn't really help. When Ken first shared this insight with me I thought it was a great idea, so it has been a theme around our house for the last few months.

While it sounds simple enough, it is actually quite difficult to live out. Often while I am reading with Jonathan, I am thinking about the household chores that need my attention, or the math that Alex needs help with, or the fact that Lindsay hasn't finished chemistry yet. And my favorite - what are we going to do next school year? Needless to say, with all of these things on my mind, it is hard to concentrate on Jonathan and my patience isn't what it should be because I am thinking about the future. If I can learn to really be in the moment that I am reading with Jonathan, it goes well and I don't feel the anxiety and frustration of the future that is not even here yet.

Or maybe it's the past I'm thinking about while I am working on math with Alex. There's really nothing I can do about the things that have already happened. I mean if I have offended someone or done something wrong, I can make amends, but beyond that what is done is done. It is a waste of time to continue to spend energy on the past. Besides, it causes me not to be in the moment because I am looking back.

So how do I stay in the moment when there are a thousand things to do this week, and many things from yesterday that may creep up? Philippians 4:6-7 says, "Do not be anxious about anything (this includes past, present, and future), but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." I think that says it all. I have to choose not to be anxious because I know that God is in control, and everytime I pick up the past or the future and become anxious, I take it back to Him and let His peace guard my heart and mind in Christ. In Christ is key because in Lori doesn't work.

Now I am off to be present with my four little people and not let the worries of the last moment or the next cause me to be anxious. I'll let you know how that works out.

No comments: