Friday, May 16, 2008

Fall Like Rain

I woke to the sound of falling rain this morning and immediately my mind turned toward a couple of things I have been pondering lately.

In Deuteronomy 32, Moses stood before the whole assembly of Israel to address them once more before he died. He started by saying, "Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants." Wow, if only my words to my children could always come across like that!


It's the time of year when I look back over the last school year wondering if we have accomplished enough and on to the next year wondering what we can do better. After ten years of homeschooling, we have tried most every program in most every subject. I am not convinced there is any stellar curriculum out there, and what worked with one child doesn't necessarily work with next.


Looking toward the coming days and months, I want to really encourage the motivations of my older ones. Lindsay has a real desire to write and loves music. She is sensitive, thoughtful, and full of enthusiasm for causes that touch her heart. I want to help her craft her writing and music to touch the hearts of others. Alex just wants to play baseball all the time and he is very good. He sees the world in black and white and always wants to lead, but he is also tender hearted and gentle (especially with his baby sister). I want him to have every opportunity to play ball and learn to lead and support a family one day.

It sounds like such a huge task and as I have been pondering how to shape the oldest two, and let my words fall like rain, I am reminded of God's faithfulness. In Isaiah He says that just as the rain falls from heaven and does not return without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so his word will not return to him without accomplishing his plan. Just like the falling rain today is causing my yard to bloom, I can trust that as we continue to seek God and his plan for our family, he is at work even when I can't see it.

So with only one official week of school left and plans for next year still in the works, my prayer is that my teaching will fall like rain and these children will bloom beautifully.

1 comment:

Marybeth Whalen said...

I love these thoughts and the correlation to Moses. We are leaders and we need to remember that as homeschool moms. I am also processing our coming year and making some decisions. Thanks for this perspective!