Monday, June 23, 2008

Do What You Love

Okay, I realize I am somewhat of an idealist and I have all of these great ideas of what life ought to be like. (Note: my life doesn't always reflect these great ideas). In my few short years, I feel like I have done a lot of living and one thing I have learned is that life really is short - one breath, no repeats or do-overs. Once you grasp this idea, you need to live, really live, not just merely exist.

I really want my kids to get this now, while they are young. I want them to learn what their gift is and actually use it. I'm not just talking about making a living - that may (or may not) be separate. But I don't want the fear of not making tons of money to snuff out their gift or point them in the direction of a hum-drum existence.

Sure you have to make money to live and you have to work hard, but why not work hard at something you love? God has given us gifts to glorify Him, impact others for Him, and help us along the way. If we don't use them, then we are merely existing and not really living.

I met a young man today who plays college baseball and loves it. When I asked about his back up plan, since loving baseball does not guarantee playing in the majors, his reply was, "Exercise Training. That way I can still be around baseball." I think he has exactly what I am hoping my little people will learn - he's finding a way to do what he enjoys.

No comments: