Thursday, October 16, 2008

Milkshake Miracle

I must begin by saying that I do not believe in coincidence or luck at all. I am one of those folks who believes that things work out the way they are supposed to. I also believe that God really can be found when we seek him.

So on with the milkshake story.

The day began at four in the morning with a two year old needing something to drink. After settling in with ice water and beginning to drift off, she decided she needed to potty. Now I am so thankful that she is potty trained, but at four in the morning it is very tempting to remind her that she does have on a pull-up and it will truly be okay just this once. But no, we got up and went to the potty. We get back to bed and just as I was finding sleep again, I hear her say, "Mommy, I need to put my jammies on." Yes, she had fallen asleep in her t-shirt. I promptly replied, "You have got to be kidding me. We'll be getting up in just a little while." Fortunately for her and me, her daddy helped her get the beloved jammies on and she did go back to sleep, just before the alarm went off.

Thursdays are always packed full and this week, add head cold that leaves me feeling quite fuzzy. After Bible Study, I went by Wendy's to pick up Frosties and lunch. I really thought I ordered enough Frosties for me to have one thinking how wonderful it would feel to my tired, sore throat. Once I arrived home, I realized that I did not order enough for me. I was so bummed.

Just a little while later, my sweet friend, Pauline, stops by and her daughter runs in the house with a strawberry milkshake for me. She had no idea about the Frosty, but she did know that I had a scratchy throat. I didn't even see her come by as her daughter passed it off to Jonathan who brought it to me. I was completely stunned - I just couldn't believe it.

Now I know this doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but it was. It had been a tough week and I had been telling this friend of mine how I know that we find God when we seek Him. I had been praying for God to give my friend something tangible just so this friend would be reminded that God really is with us and really does care. And in that very moment, holding this homemade strawberry milkshake, I was reminded that the God of the universe knew all about me, even my sore throat. Not only was I reminded that my little situations, the ups and downs of my week, had not escaped His notice, but that He cared.

It was truly a milkshake miracle and it spoke to everyone who was a part of it. I was on the phone with my sister when the milkshake arrived and she was wowed. Lindsay has been sharing 'God-sightings' with her Bible study group and she shared this story. Even my boys raised an eyebrow and recognized how God had worked in the details of our day.

I must admit that it was one of things you had to experience in order to really get it. But I really got it. It really was a miracle.




3 comments:

Sarah-Anne said...

I remember you telling me that story...

SA

Kimberly said...

Hey!
Coming by from Lysa's!
I LOVE this! I love stories that show how He truly is a personal God. He knows us intimately, and He loves us deeply!

Thanks for sharing this! This kind of post is such a faith-lifter and a smile-bringer.

Blessings,
K

Anonymous said...

I've have experienced those moments before too. Just recently, we experienced a very serious family crisis and God just intervened at moments when I thought I would collapse! And the most beautiful thing was that many of the teachers I work with are Christians and without them knowing anything about my situation, I had a couple of them see in my face that something was very troubling to me. One teacher even touched my arm and prayed over me right there in my classroom! Yes, I do completely believe that God can work His miracles through simple, everyday activities when we least expect it and need it the most!