Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Let My Teaching Fall Like Rain

The sky is gray. The air is cold. The rain is falling.

Through the open windows this morning I hear the steady rhythm of the rain. There is no sunlight peaking through the blinds to beckon me to greet the day. I make my way to the kitchen to start the coffee and ponder how to approach this less than ideal beginning to my day. As I sit in the stillness of the early morning, I consider the advantages of rain.

Rain is cleansing, washing away the dirt and grime.

Rain is nourishing, feeding all things green.

Rain is rhythmic, pleasing to the ear.

I remember that I love the verse in Deuteronomy 32 where Moses is giving the entire law to the children of Israel just before his death and he begin with these words, "Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants."

Looking for inspiration for this school day, I look out the window and pray that my words can fall like rain today.

The sky is silver. The air is snappy. The rain is cascading.

No comments: